Dzieduszycki Family Mansion

The Dzieduszycki Villa was built in 1935, and is located at 23 Kampinowska Street. Its main features are beautiful art deco detailing and an artistically designed garden. It has belonged to the Dzieduszycki family since 1946.

For many years, it has played an important role in the city’s cultural life as a meeting place for intellectuals and artists, and subsequently – as a living symbol of how difficult it is to come to terms with the idiosyncrasies of Polish identity. In autumn 2006, it was revealed that Count Wojciech Dzieduszycki, a respected member of the city’s cultural elite and an honorary citizen of Wrocław, had been an informant for the communist secret police for many years. The Villa was closed down.

It hosted great musicians, actors and writers. Konstanty Ildefons Gałczyński, Ksawery Pruszyński and Jerzy Waldorff have spent many nights here. It was also frequented by Jakub Rotbaum, Henryk Tomaszewski, Andrzej Markowski, and Halina Czerny Stefańska. It was here that the concepts of the Chopin Festival in Duszniki, Wratislavia Cantans, the Festival of Contemporary Music, and many other events were born. Eminent piano players frequently practiced here before their concerts, and provided music for dancing. Dancers rehearsed and sculptors worked in the garden; for several weeks Kora and MANAAM lived there in a tent. The housekeepers spoke Ukrainian and French, and made pierogi by the hundreds.

The house came alive at night, always open to the unusual and creative, always welcoming visitors from the neighborhood and far-off places. Famous and unknown singers alike sang at banquets, and at dawn joined the hosts for a swim in the park pond. The drawing room saw many a concert and theatre rehearsal. The “Cigarette Smoke” cabaret, and the “Lviv Songs” productions were born here. The villa was also used in TV shows and series.

Source:
Paulina Michniak, WGN
April 2011
www.wgn.pl


listen to the content print version