Slodowa Island

photo: Julo / Wikimedia: Wyspa Słodowa (Słodowa Island) on Odra-River (left), background - Ostrow Tumski

Słodowa Island (Malt Island) is a small islet on the Oder River within the Wrocław Old Town, situated nearby the Ostrów Tumski (Cathedral Island).

The island was owned by the Order of Saint Claire from Middle Ages until the beginning of 18th century, when it became the property of the city. In 18th century Słodowa Island was connected to Młyńska and Bielarska Islands with the iron bridge. In the second half of 19th century, people began to build dwelling houses on it with sewerage systems, phones and electricity. In 1945 German army installed there field artillery, what made it target for often bombarding during the World War II. During the siege of Wrocław at the end of World War II, almost all the buildings of the island were destroyed. There were only some of the buildings left, including the thirteenth-century St. Clare's Mills.

St. Clare's Mills were blown up by sappers in 1975. The decision to demolish them was met with widespread criticism and protests by the people of culture, architects, and urban planners. For nearly a quarter century after the destruction of mills, the area remained almost completely undeveloped, with only one house left on the island.
Today Słodowa Island hosts many cultural open-air events.

source: Wikipedia


listen to the content print version